ALAMO MISSION AND FORTRESS
The Alamo, originally known as Mission San Antonio de Valero, is a former Roman Catholic mission and fortress compound and was the site of the Battle of the Alamo in 1836. It is now a museum in the Alamo Plaza District of Downtown San Antonio, Texas, USA. It was built by Spanish Franciscan priest Antonio de Olivares and Payaya Indians, and along with the Presidio San Antonio de Bexar and the Acequia Madre de Valero is the origin of the present city of San Antonio, Texas.
The compound, which originally comprised a sanctuary and surrounding buildings, was built by the Spanish Empire in the 18th century for the education of local Native Americans after their conversion to Christianity. In 1793, the mission was secularized and soon abandoned. Ten years later, it became a fortress housing the Mexican Army group the Second Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras, who likely gave the mission the name "Alamo."