TEXAS CAPITOL PARK GROUND
The Texas Capitol and approximately 22 acres of surrounding grounds and monuments are the physical and symbolic center of government for the State of Texas.
Bounded by city streets, the Grounds today provide an appropriate setting for citizens and visitors to approach and appreciate the majestic Texas Capitol. The Historic Grounds lie predominantly on the east, south and west sides of the building and are defined by a historical iron fence. In 1993, the completion of the Capitol Extension created an entirely new setting for the north side of the Capitol. The 1995-96 restoration of the historic South Grounds returned the park-like setting to its 1888-1915 appearance and updated vital systems such as fire protection, water-conserving irrigation, lighting and accessible walkways.
There are 20 monuments that surround the Texas Capitol. William Munro Johnson, civil engineer, was hired in 1888 to improve the appearance of the grounds. By the time the first monument, commemorating the Heroes of the Alamo, was installed in 1891, the major components of Johnson's plan were in place. These included a "Great Walk" of black and white diamond-patterned pavement shaded by trees. The four oldest monuments are the Heroes of the Alamo, Volunteer Firemen, Confederate Soldiers and Terry's Texas Rangers, and flank the tree-lined Great Walk.